[meteorite-list] "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" - Two Thumbs Up!

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:36:22 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings all. I know Richard Norton and Lawrence Chitwood's new book
"Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" has already been discussed
here, but I just received my copy -- mine is signed, aren't you
jealous : ) -- and it's such a terrific work I wanted to comment
personally.

This beautifully produced 288-page full color book is an absolute must
for all meteorite enthusiasts, and completes a great trilogy on our
favorite subject, alongside the Nortons' other two essential works:
"Rocks from Space," and "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites."

Congratulations to Richard, and the late Lawrence Chitwood, and also
to M-List member Dorothy Norton who was very involved with the work
herself, contributing excellent scientific illustrations throughout,
as well as editing and research. Dorothy just told me this morning
that the initial printing has already sold out (!) so if you need a
first edition snap it up quick wherever you can find it.

On a personal note, I was thrilled by the invitation to contribute, in
a very small way, to this important work by supplying meteorite
photographs of specimens from the Oscar Monnig Collection, The Michael
Farmer Meteorites Collection, and the Aerolite Meteorites Collection.
Several other List members also contributed photos, and you'll enjoy
seeing a number of familiar meteorite hunters faces in the "In The
Field" chapter. Special thanks to my pal Sonny Clary who took a
stellar photo of Steve Arnold #1 and myself at Brenham, which was also
included in the book.

If you haven't seen the "Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites" yet,
order it ASAP. A real beauty!

With best wishes,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org