[meteorite-list] Colorado DOW Habitat Stamp

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 18:57:03 -0600

Since there is a big one scheduled to come down somewhere over
Colorado in the very near future, I wanted to get this tidbit of info
out now to all the meteorite hunters that would travel here in such
an event.

My message has to do with the Division of Wildlife's Habitat Stamp.
If you have purchased a Colorado hunting or fishing license this
year, undoubtedly you were given council by the clerk selling you the
license that you should also buy the Habitat Stamp for $5 which will
allow you to access DOW property called State Wildlife Areas (SWA).

What is the Stamp about? According to the DOW, "All of the funds
raised from the sale of these stamps will be used to benefit wildlife
by acquiring or preserving habitat."

Okay, so I don't necessarily disagree with any of that and it is
probably well known by outdoors sportsmen but.... Here is something
about this requirement to have the stamp that may not be so well
known. If you are NOT a hunter, or an angler but say a hiker, or
camper, or bird watcher, or picnicker, or sightseer, or meteorite
hunter, etc., and you are in the age group 19 to 64 years old, you
also will need to have this stamp to "access" DOW property listed in
their property directory as an SWA or State Trust Land leased by the
DOW. There are only a few exceptions to this rule.

SWAs are all over the place in Colorado. Its not uncommon at all to
head up a road into the hills around here and find a sign declaring
you are about to enter State Wildlife Area.

The cost of the stamp to the non-hunter is $10.25 per person. Okay
so not so much. Have a car filled with 5 or six people in the 19-64
age group without the stamps and they all get cited, well then it
could become an expensive "access". Might even cost your group equal
to the cost of a tank of diesel for your Hummer and we all know the
sting in that.

Okay, let the big one fall!

Mike in CO