[meteorite-list] getting oriented on orientation

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:23:19 -0500

Steve & List,

I just sent the following to Darryl off line, as we've been discussing this
issue with great interest, and thought I'd add it here because it
coincidentally makes very similar points (we very much agree) but with
perhaps a little different perspective:

Darryl,

Here are the problems, in my opinion, with the simplicity of that 0-1-2-3
formula:

First, freshness of the specimen can have a lot to do with several of the
parameters, and just because a stone is weathered does not mean it's
necessarily not "completely oriented."

Second, a specimen's flight can be "completely oriented" but, due to the
initial shape and composition of the meteoroid, it might not be a perfect
nose cone. Frankly, again in my opinion, the object of much debate
yesterday is "completely oriented" but was affected by these parameters
(meaning largely by the second point and slightly by the first point, as it
is very fresh but was obviously not picked up the day it fell). If you
missed the extra photos, check this out:

http://www.fallingrocks.com/Collections/NWAXXXb.htm

I don't care what the final analysis is on this specimen, by the way, and am
only using it as a frame of reference. If you saw that Kainsaz specimen
(will link it below as well), even it introduces some interesting challenges
to the "current working formula" though it is obviously "completely
oriented":

http://www.fallingrocks.com/Collections/Kainsaz.htm

How one would provide for differentiation between this Kainsaz and, say,
Lafayette based on a "completely" or "partially" oriented grading system, I
am not sure. Layfayette is obviously fresher, has all sorts of flow lines
and is a perfect dome, but they are both "completely oriented" in terms of
flight and the resultant shape they both achieved.

This will be fun to sort out, and I hope we get it to the finish line!

Dave