[meteorite-list] Fwd: getting oriented on orientation

From: Darryl Pitt <darryl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:14:30 -0500

as previously mentioned, some of the guidelines used to establish
orientation should be weighted more heavily than others.

when a stone is weathered, the only way to determine a high degree of
orientation would still be the reliance on the same conventions to
determine the extent of orientation.

for example....a highly weathered meteorite's morphology exhibits an
unmistakably curved parabolic surface, e.g., brenham main mass. of
course that should trump everything---the object is inarguably highly
oriented.

bottom line, if you can't discern for certain whether the specimen is
oriented per agreed upon guidelines, then you can't state the object
is oriented. it's that simple. ('tis frustrating to me when folks
mention that willamette is oriented. could have been. but it's
unverifiable. so it's not.)

in effect, what is implied with orientation is that if all of the
characteristics which denote orientation are weathered away, no
determination of orientation can or should be made on the most highly
weathered material. right?

all best / darryl

Begin forwarded message: