[meteorite-list] Major fireball in Germany, Italy and Austria

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:21:02 +0100

This actually seems to be a more likely scenario, and the meteorite
may have escaped the lake Bodensee as it may have fallen a bit more
to the west. May be one of these days, if ever anything will be found,
we will possibly know it under one of the names Schaffhausen, Winterthur,
Konstanz, Sankt Gallen, Singen, Donaueschingen. Then again, there are
reports from Italy that suggest it may have fallen much more to the
south....

We?ll know soon, or may be we?ll never know, as time and moisture are
the bandits, robbing us of a new fall if qualified search teams won?t be successfull, or statistics for pure chance and good luck of an innocent finder won?t work out positively..

The skies were mostly overcast at the time of the fireball. I wonder if airline pilots en route around the greater area of Zurich/Switzerland have been asked for observations from the cockpit while being at cruising level.
These are supposed to be skillful people by virtue of their profession, and could provide good observation readings of azimut, altitude and direction of any object at any given time relative to their positions, which may be correlated somehow afterwards...

Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------