[meteorite-list] '869?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:24:42 +0100

Hi Lasse,

these ebay-discussions are recurrent
and I guess, one can break them down to the consensus,
that on ebay there are good purchases to be found, but that ebay isn't
directly always the best place to buy meteorites. Cause if you take all
offers together, then - pity enough for the serious sellers - ebay turns out
to be that marketplace for meteorites with the by far lowest standards of
ethics.

That kinds of discussions are ending always like the amen in the church with
the maxim:
Know your dealers (and if possible: your meteorites).

You have to see, that on ebay is working the whole spectrum offerers;
>From the extremely scrupulous professional dealer or experienced veteran
collector, down to those, who haven't any clues about meteorites or
understand ebay as an anonymous flea-market, where they can "leave no stone
unturned" by disthonest means to squeeze out the last penny of material of
doubtful quality, because they won't be called to account for.

Note furthermore that the so called "meteorite market" developed from a pure
collectors' scene and still today it is borne mainly by collectors,
especially on ebay, and even most of the reputable dealers, who you know,
aren't making their days in selling meteorites, but are dealing meteorites
because of their feeble for such matter or as side occupation among others.
There of course it is natural, that also not yet so advanced collectors
offer here and there their specimens, who naturally are making mistakes.

In general it is a welcome fact, at least I think so, that meteorites and
their trade are driven mainly by collectors and enthusiasts.

Well in this case maybe the seller mixed some specimens or he bought a lot
of NWA 869, where also some other old meteorites creeped in, which he wasn't
able to distinguish from true 869ers.
If you look into his other auctions, you'll find, that he must be quite new
to meteoritics as you easily can notice from his sometimes inadequate
attributes he uses in his descriptions and sometimes he's telling absolute
rubbish.
E.g. that Sikhote:
Item number: 120231123026

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sikhote-Alin-meteorite-27-1-grams-Nice-specimen-NR_W0QQi
temZ120231123026QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3239QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well, don't let me keep you with that beauty vs. the beholder's eyes-thing,
the incorrectness here is, that it has absolutely no flow lines, as he
states.

Problem I see, is, that he has an IMCA-label.
I think it should be the job of the two warrantors, who recommended him to
be a member, to point out that mistake to him, to tutor him to do his
homework and to coach him a little bit.

Anyway, I could bet, that it won't take more than 10 days, until we'll have
the next ebay-discussion on the list.....

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----