[meteorite-list] Observed lunar meteorite impacts hit 100

From: Mark Ford <mark.ford_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:03:15 +0100

Yes as I say you can label them, but I still wouldn't say the
differences where 'very distinct'.. juries still out on that one. I
wouldn't mind betting there are quite a few 'icy asteroids' out there
too...

After all:
> we know little about composition. A burned out comet may
> or may not be similar to an asteroid from a mineralogical standpoint.

Given that some moons of Saturn [may] actually be captured comets
(according to the recent Cassini findings), it strikes me that we still
have difficulty in defining exactly what is and isn't or what was or was
not 'a comet', (I guess not enough samples to define it clearly enough).

Mark my words - one day we will probably have a 'pluto style' mess
where all those things we classified/call ex-comets etc will suddenly
all be called ... ''rocks''. Lol.

Best
Mark