[meteorite-list] comet/asteroid classification

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 16:12:01 -0700 (PDT)

It's a simple case of the terminology being outdated.

The term comet dates back to Aristotle and the name means "star with hair" in Greek. A lovely term that a child could sketch.

The term Asteroid is much more recent (19th Century). The word means "star shaped" probably because that's how they look in a telescope and again, a child looking through a telescope could easily draw it. Going back 200 years, the original distinction is obvious.

Many asteroids have volatiles and many comets probably contain rock elements. I have to say "may" because we haven't studied as many comets as we have asteroid because they tend to be transient and farther away.

I like the child drawing analogy because it demonstrates how our understanding today has matured.

Today we say that, generally, comets come from far out. Generally, asteroids come from much nearer but we all know that the two classes cn overlap in appearance so by the childs analogy, it is possible to confuse the two in individual circumstances. A fresh asteroid from beyond the ice line may take on the appearnce of a comet but a spent comet may take on the appearanc of an asteroid. It does not alter their origin.

It it the terms that are outdated, not the way we classify them.
We saw the same thing in 2006 with planets, a term invented by the Greeks. Planet literally means "wanderer" and when you applied the definitions of the Greeks used, there are only 5 and Earth ain't one of them.

We could change our terminology to accurately classify these bodies according to their origin with sub-classification to describe their current nature. I believe one day we will. It is unlikely to happen anytime soon, however because we do not have the data to categorically state to origin on most of these bodies.

Rob McC