[meteorite-list] Just Another Question

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 14:28:56 -0400

Just going backwards in this and noticed Dr. Grossman said:

Alan Rubin and I grappled with this issue in our article in Meteorite!
10 years ago ... definition that would exclude things like tektites
 from being called meteorites ... we would say that a terrestrial
meteorite would be an object ejected from earth by natural causes
(i.e., by impact), which entered an orbit around the sun and later was
re-accreted by the earth. ... Nothing like this has ever been found.
Its distinguishing properties might be a fusion crust ...

I liked that useage of the word, "might" regarding fusion crust, and
the exclusion of tektites. Personally, I'd be looking for things that
look just like tektites but with cosmic ray evidence. Tektites do not
have an easily identifyable fusion crust, but in the case of something
that condensed in its own orbit around the Sun, procedent from a very
recent impact on Earth, they might re-melt on the surfaces years later
on re-entry and sculpt an interesting layer we "might" call fusion
crust by a stretch of the definition of fusion crust. While there is a
lot to be said for the Peruvian event, I still think a Terrestrial
meteorite would more likely look a lot like a tektite. Comment?

Best wishes,
Doug