[meteorite-list] Space junk - marine life - shame on NASA

From: mexicodoug at aim.com <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:11:26 -0500

Hi Chris, Listees,

It isn't a shade of "illegal dumping" at issue as far as I can tell.

The possibly crass accusations that stated this thread might consider
that transporting the old tank in a Space Shuttle back to earth would
present a far greater danger to occupants and American residents in the
landing path across the USA upon reentry rather than uncontrolled
incineration it was given. If you don't believe that, why don't you
volunteer for a return flight with that oversized ammonia tank strapped
in next to you in the belly of the Shuttle as the 30 year old vehicle
starts shaking like hell in a controlled fall your life depends upon in
reentry. Even Iron Man might get a cold sweat on that one.

There was no safer way, unless you wanted to build a booster for it and
blast it off from a mobile launch platform in low earth orbit into the
Sun :). Is this a sensible?

Best wishes and great health,
Doug