[meteorite-list] Question About Potassium-Argon (K/Ar) dates for North American and Australasian Tektites

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:02:25 -0700 (PDT)

Michael & list,

Greetings from Tanzania! Sorry to be so out of touch, but electricity and internet service are both pretty insecure here.

Michael, K-Ar and Ar40/Ar39 techniques are not limited to volcanic rocks. Anything containing potassium (certainly including tektites) can work. There are always interpretative issues, but that's another subject.

I spend a fair bit of my field time here working with geochronology where 2.8 billion years is "young" and an error bracket of +/- 40 million years is almost too sloppy to be of use! I'm learning some new stuff.

No meteorites so far, and virtually no decent search environments. I found a killer little iron in the middle of a jungle trail a while back, but a quick zap with a Niton portable XRF unit showed no Ni. Just a nice chip off of an iron plow or sledge hammer---.

The Niton ray gun is driving me crazy. At virtually no cost, I can pull the trigger and analyze for the entire periodic table heaver than Na in less than 1 minute. This machine should be able to let us non-destructively differentiate iron meteorites, and maybe tektites. Why am I going crazy? ALL my collection is in storage in the USA and I can't test the technology! The unit costs around $35,000 US. Here, now, I have unlimited access to one, and soon, several.

Imagine being able to instantly (in relative terms), go though a collection of irons and verify their identity. I've got some in my collection that are potentially with the wrong tag, and I bet every museum in the world fits into that fellowship. What if we can easily zap tektites to confirm/differentiate Ivorites, Bediasites, and Australasians? Authenticate moldavites and reject etched glass? I THINK this tool is in our hands now.

I'm coming to the US at Christmas time. Who can offer me a nice wide variety of approx. 1 cm sq slices of irons at a decent price? I could even return them afterwards (subject to the risk of confiscation in customs somewhere---). If this works as I think it could, I'd consider buying a Niton on my return to the USA, and offering verification services.

If anyone is able to provide me with a dozen or so little iron chips (for a price of course), please let me know. This could be very cool.

Regards to all,

Norm
http://tektitesource.com