[meteorite-list] South Pole Meteorite????????????

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:07:21 -0400

Gee, this looks an awful lot like ALHA76001, to name a specific
Antarctic meteorite! Compare the photo of a larger slice of "ALH 761"
in Japan with the ebay photo:

http://metdb.nipr.ac.jp/Data/ALH761/sALH-761.1-80_small_200822195950.jpg

For several years, I have wondered what happened to the 3800 g piece of
this meteorite, which was supposedly once in the Field Museum collection
in Chicago (according to MetBase). However, that meteorite and its
siblings from 1976 have not been in the Field collection for a long
time. Is it possible this is it? Maybe one of you knows the history
of these meteorites well enough to speculate.

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeffrey N. Grossman       phone: (703) 648-6184
US Geological Survey          fax:   (703) 648-6383