[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics - west

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 20:00:18 EDT

Hello George,

I have done something similar in the past at places like what we did at
Brenham. But with so much land to cover at West, and so little time to cover it,
for me it was just easier to hunt where one was wanted. I had ground where
land owners were happy to let us hunt with no return to them, so it was fine
to spend most of the time with that ground.

To pay to hunt, or to pay a "royalty" to a land owner on anything found,
might be okay if there were not other options and other places to go that cost
nothing.

Racing the crops going in, other hunters, the coming rains, the growing
grass, the emerging rattlesnakes, it was just easier to go where it was easier
and cheaper since it all couldn't be hunted by one person anyway.

Of course, for someone that wants to try to do that now, they have to cut
through all the preconceived ideas the landowners have built, just so they will
be open enough to hear such a sales pitch. I would think if someone is in
the area now, it would be a valid option to try, especially if it is for
unhunted ground, not in crops, not in tall growing grass, in part of the
strewnfield where the meteorites would not have buried themselves too deep into the
ground, where their holes would be filled in with mud by now.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated 4/2/2009 6:35:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ks1u at att.net