[meteorite-list] Diamonds and Ureilites

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:15:02 -1000

I don't know the answer to your question Greg, but Gary Huss at UH Hawaii Institute of Geophysics and Planetology showed me a huge Ureilite slab that was cut on a wire saw that had large 2-5mm grooves in it. He said that the diamonds were so hard that the wire went around them in the matrix of the stone and created those grooves. Unreal. I wish I had thought to take a picture of it.

Here is a picture I did get of Gary with some of his specimens he shared with participants of our HISTAR workshop last summer: http://astroday.net/Images/HISTAR09/HS12.jpg

gary