[meteorite-list] How much survives entry?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:47:36 -0700

I didn't say semantic tweaks don't matter... I only said that their need
depends on how the question is phrased.

The examples you give describe variations in physical conditions, not
semantics. As I also noted in my original post, there has to be a very wide
variation in reality, making it difficult to define "typical".

I don't believe I used the value "99.9%" in my responses. What I said is
that you can probably safely assume that in the majority of cases more than
95% of the original mass is lost.

Carancas is a poor example for just about anything, being a singular event.
However, even that case doesn't seem unreasonable. If we assume the impactor
was 1 ton (about 1 meter diameter), a 95% loss means the parent was 20 tons
(about 2 meter diameter); if we assume a 99% loss, the parent was 100 tons
(about 4 meter diameter). These numbers are perfectly reasonable and
believable. Of course, Carancas almost certainly had less than the usual
amount of ablation because it impacted before ablation had stopped.

Yes, estimates are a kind of guess. But "guess" doesn't have to mean a
random choice. The idea that the parent bodies of most meteorites lost more
than 95% of their mass to ablation is based on solid theory and observation.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com