[meteorite-list] TC3 show and an observation

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:05:22 EST

Hi List, I watched the National Geographic's "Naked Science: Countdown to
Impact" which is the story of asteroid/meteorite TC3.

What caught my attention was the diversity of material within the samples
collected. After a few years of weathering, would all those stones even
be thought to of come from the same fall? It got me wondering about the
diversity in other meteorite material.

Have others working with meteorites noticed large diversity in material
type within a group of named samples. I'm not talking about a single stone
(perhaps even brecciated) but rather a fall with a large number of recovered
individuals.

I am not an expert but I have cut, polished and examined mare than an
average amount of meteorites and in those named materials where I have cut into
more than 50 stones, most have such a large diversity I could send in a
type sample that would support any thing from a type 3 to a 6.

Some primary examples are SaU 001, JaH 055, JaH 073 and the provisional
NWA 5142.

These examples are only those where I have cut a large amount. There must
be other more dramatic examples others have noticed.

Aside from that question I had, it was a great informative and
entertaining show. Well done!

for info on the show see:
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/naked-science/4652/Overview

Tom Phillips