[meteorite-list] More on green spots in stoneys

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 17:50:30 +0000

My curiosity was piqued with a hazy memory, and I went online searching for pictures of 'kosmochlor'. Now I remember where I had heard the term before; it's a variant of jadeite, often found in small quantities around the same deposits as what is known to jewelers as 'jade', but harder because of the fibrous composition. In the jewelry trade, it's often called 'mawsitsit', and is treated the same way as jade. At Tucson, I don't doubt that anyone who wants can find massive pieces of it, either raw or finished, if you want a comparison sample.

Tracy Latimer