[meteorite-list] green spot in chondrite

From: Rob Lenssen <rlenssen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:17:27 +0100

Many thanks to all who replied to my question about "the green spot".

This is The List at it's best! I learned a lot about green colors in
crystals.

In an attempt to answer the question marks, with respect to the glassy
fusion crust, that was also visible in the photograph:

I think it is a kind of melt rim, formed due to the aerodynamic shape of the
stone. This picture shows the side with the black glassy stripe:

http://home.planet.nl/~rlenssen/1200g.jpg

An end cut - also going through the stripe - showed one homogeneous
chondritic texture all over the surface area.

Regards,

Rob Lenssen