[meteorite-list] OT - Devastating Australian Bushfires

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:39:02 +1100

To those who are worried... thanks! I thought it easier to give an update to
everyone at once.

For those of you who may not be aware, Australia has suffered it's most
catastrophic bushfires in our history. In fact it is now Australia's worst
peace-time disaster. Melbourne city reached 47 degrees Celsius on Saturday
with country areas even higher. 100km/h hot winds fanned massive bushfires
around the edges of the city which are now spreading further throughout our
state. Entire towns have been completely wiped off the map and many areas
look like they have suffered a nuclear explosion. There has been tragic loss
of life with 134 killed so far but that number is rising terribly. Nearly
800 homes and 1 million acres have been completely burnt.

I do know people who have lost houses but thankfully no one has been hurt.
I'm ok where I am but I do have family and friends who are in areas on alert
but hopefully the weather will be more favourable in the next few days.

So thanks to those of you passing on best wishes and let's hope all will be
as good as it can be in such a terrible situation.

Thanks,

Jeff