[meteorite-list] Bogus indochinites? Are they or aren't they?

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:56:42 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Dirk, Mark, & all,

I have previously forwarded off-list comments to some on this matter, but just to round out the story for everyone, here are a few bits from our experience.

We have purchased some very large lots of tektites from several sources. For many years we have had a consistent buyer of over 10,000 specimens per year. As these are used for educational purposes, we have handled and examined each and every one. Lots of odds and ends are included in every shipment, but I don't consider this intentionally fraudulent on the part of any of my suppliers. Bulk tektites are a bulk commodity and have a very low unit value to the finder. I am frankly amazed that the overall percentage of rejects is so low. The most common cull materials found in bulk shipments are: clinkers & slag, coal, tourmaline, garnets, melted glass, fragments of plastic, and assorted common rocks. I don't think this is the result of deceit. It's just bulk materials being handled as quickly as possible.

What does distress me is that I have seen this same cull material offered as individual specimens by dealers in Tucson who apparently think that just because it was found in a bag of tektites, it is therefor a tektite, ---in fact, an odd tektite deserving of its own box and individual piece sale. It should not need to be said, but I will say it anyway: if you buy bulk tektites, don't suspend critical judgement. Some of the black bits in there aren't tektites even if they are in a bag marked "tektites".

As for the fake moldavites, these also are quite often honest mistakes. Don't assume that every seller of the same is a crook. When I have contacted sellers on such matters, I would say that 80% of the time, they truly had no idea their material wasn't authentic and withdrew their auctions quickly and honorably.

The ones you really need to watch out for are the "new" localities. These are the ones that show up periodically from Utah, or Arizona, or somewhere in Africa or a host of other places. Once someone has decided that what they have is a new type of tektite, there is seldom an objective bone left in their body. They can always find some teacher or professor or geologist who endorses their find. This is big-time buyer beware. I always give the new discoveries a fair hearing. We'd all love to find something new. But be careful. Honest people will be open about doubts and uncertainties. If they start to talk about conspiracies to supress their find, and quote all sorts of authorities who could not be in a position to be real authorities, throw out the red flag!

As for the "Indochinites", Dirk has told you like it is. It is virtually impossible to be sure of a source locality without self-collecting or getting it from someone you can trust impeccably who has self-collected(like Dirk). Even my most trusted suppliers, who may well be completely trustworthy, get their materials from other suppliers of completely unknown integrity. The front-line collectors have a vested interest in keeping their localities secret.

Best regards to all,

Norm Lehrman
(tektitesource.com)