[meteorite-list] List Members, Job, ETC.

From: David Pensenstadler <dfpens01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:51:09 -0800 (PST)

Dear List:

I am a 64 year old retired chemist and amateur astronomer with 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren, and will celebrate my 40th anniversary in April. I started collecting meteorites in 1998 when Bill Cassidy, The Father of the Antarctic Search for Meteorites Program, gave me a 20 g. Henbury. I now have nearly 100 meteorites displayed in the Natural Sciences Section of my Living Room. In recent years, I have been giving lectures on meteorites to high school teachers and to students of all levels. I have worked with Geoff Notkin to get small Sihkote Alin meteorites to give away to school children, who really appreciate these wonders from space.

I have been to the Gold Basin strewnfield a couple of times, and also to Franconia. Have found small pieces on all occassions.

I am also the Chairman of the Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh, a non-profit organization that gives away more than half million dollars to science education yearly. Our funding comes from proceeds from an annual conference called the Pittsburgh Conference on Analytical Chemistry and Applied Spectroscopy. I have just organized an invited symposium on "Space Exploration in the 21st. Century" for this conference which will be held in Chicago in March. You can check out our program at www.pittcon.org.