[meteorite-list] Rusting pallasites

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:55:11 +0000

Although most pallasites are very stable, there are a few (and I have samples!) that seem to start spalling off bits in short order; it doesn't help that I live less than a mile from the ocean. If you don't want to use the galvanic method of treatment for pallasites, is there a good way to treat them and stop them from rusting? Is the tried-and-true soak-in-lye-and-denatured-alcohol process appropriate, or will that just result in more problems?

Best!
Tracy Latimer