[meteorite-list] Progress or ruination?

From: Michael Gilmer <michael_w_gilmer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 09:35:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi Steve and Mike,

I would be one hell of a pretentious upstart to disagree with someone
who has actually been there. My travels in the Atacama are limited
to armchair fantasies and future pipe dreams. I do hope to visit
there one day in the future, but I'd like it to look like ATACAMA
when I get there, and not Orlando Florida.

Steve, I can't argue with the logic and rationale of what you say here :

-----------------

"But, also as unforgettable, was all the trash strewn about the highway for
thousands of miles up and down the Pan American highway. Somebody forgot to
put up the "Keep Chile Clean" signs. Litter was so abundant, especially at
railroad crossings. Burned out cars and buses were sitting on the side of the
road from car wrecks years if not decades before. What 99% of people saw
when traveling on the highway(s) of Chile was the trash, not the beauty. You
had to get off the highway before things would clean up.

So to me, my hunch is that if there are high class hotels coming in to the
San Pedro de Atacama, my bet is that they will at least clean the trash up on
and around their own property. They might even pay to have the other trash
in public areas cleaned up as well. So in a way, the development might be a
good thing.

And the situation with the residents there, imprisoned in poverty, is sad.
I am sure they, like most anyone else in the civilized world would like to
have a good job, be able to afford TV, a nice car, good health care, maybe be
able to send their kids off to college to have a CHOICE as to what they want
to do with their life.
For those of us with enough money to travel there, it is fun, but we get to
leave and choose where we go next. To be stuck there for one's whole life,
it might get to be a drag after a while. If they can make a buck and improve
their life, who are we to say that is bad?"

But, we also have to recognize that opinions such as these reflect our
cultural values. We are trying, again, to force our views of life
and standards of living on other cultures. The wealthy powers have
always done this - we are saving the savages from damnation and
bringing them the dignity of literacy and running water. Sound
familiar? It's the first step on the well-worn path to cultural
genocide. Of course Coca Cola is better than their local concoction
made of who knows what. And of course Starbucks expresso would be
a nice treat while combing the deserts. And it would be nice to
have a payphone in the middle of the desert, or cellphone service
to call a tow truck. But these people have lived this way for
centuries and they are fine with it. We, as "civilized" westerners,
are the ones who have a problem with their apparent poverty. At
what cost does one sell a soul? To be honest, I don't know if this
represents "progress" to any of the locals. Sure, it means a few
more pity dollars thrown their way by wealthy travelistas, but it
also means the disappearance of another culture that has existed for
centuries without outside interference and dominance.

Having said all of that, litter is natural places disgusts me. And
I have never understood what it is about being poor than means a
person has an excuse to be filthy. I drive past economically-depressed areas and see dozens of able-bodied people lounging around or loitering around while they are surrounded by trash everywhere. None of them think to take 5 minutes and pick it up and put it in a dumpster that is usually 10 feet away. Apparently being poor is
intrinsically related to tolerance of trash and dirt. Even if I was
spit-poor, I'd have the cleanest and neatest mud hut in the village.

Well, I guess when we have a wall-to-wall neon and concrete world, then
we'll finally be happy....right? Or will this compulsive need to
spread "progress" extend to other cultures we encounter while
exploring space?

Best regards and clear skies from the closet-mountain-man,

MikeG

Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)
Member of the Meteoritical Society.
Member of the Bayou Region Stargazers Network.
Websites - http://www.galactic-stone.com and http://www.glassthrower.com
MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/fine_meteorites_4_sale