[meteorite-list] Progress or ruination?

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:40:28 GMT

Yes, I would love to return there. The Atacama is spectacular. Did any notice, sans the Pisco, the night sky? I don't think I have ever seen such anywhere, The Magellanic Clouds, the amazing meteors, just normal run of the mill ones that actually lit the ground.

San Pedro de Atacama, what a place. I have some stories to tell of that place the night Marvin Killgore, his friend and me stayed there (actually because of some local festival we camped outside of town.)

Marvin is the one to lead a trip out there, for sure. Pure fun, an unforgettable experience... Especially after he mixes up a coke 50-50 pisco and gave it me without warning as we were camping at Imilac. 11,000 feet and that go real good together.

Real good... And I had a great deal of "fun" setting up my campsite and they had a lot of fun watching me stagger through it. Amazingly, I had no hangover the next morning when were were to search the field again.

I found 8 kg of meteorites in four days of solid searching.

And lastly, what about the Antofagasta airport? I remember that there was a mine field surrounding it, big fences with signs stating something like: "PELIGRO EL MINO" And I recall to my astonishment a tombstone over the fence line, at the edge of what looked like a crater. Some lout did not heed the sign, I suppose.

Now why would they want a mine field around that airport literally out in the middle of nowhere?

Steve Schoner
IMCA 4470