[meteorite-list] Listoids - review of australian moveable heritage legislation - all oz listoids indeed any listoid should make a submission

From: Bob WALKER <qwalkra_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:31:38 +1000

Notification - Review PMCH Act [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]Listoids

There be a review of the Australian Moveable Heritage Legislation - see
letter below

This is particularly important for Listoids - Australian Listoids who may
wish to export Australian meteorites and international Listoids who may wish
to import Australian meteorites...

I've put the two enclosed pdfs on my website and youse can view them at

http://qmig.net/Fact%20sheet%20PMCH%20Review%20Jan09.pdf

and

http://qmig.net/PMCH%20discussion%20paper%20Jan09.pdf

This is quite separate from some of the (I believe) repressive State
Legislation - but it is a start point and any useful changes can be used as
a start point to lobby against the relevant State Legislation

Personally - I believe that export of meteorite specimens worth under $15000
should be allowed in much the same way that exxport of gold nuggets under
this amount is allowed - except perhaps for very scientifically significant
specimens or planetaries

I also believe that the long winded export application requirements should
be devolved to the State Museums as delegates to streamline the process

The endstate of the current legislation has meant that as Martin Altmann has
said - that Australia is now a backwater in terms of research and that only
7 new finds have been submitted to metsoc in the last 10 years

The current legislation has also led to a culture of secrecy and not
reporting finds or encouraged another subculture of illegal export - hardly
the intent of the original proponents

If you care about our small meteorite community and if you still wish to add
Australian meteorites to your collection - I urge you to make a submission

Cheers

letter anouncing the reviw below...

I am writing to advise that on 15 January 2009, the Hon Peter Garrett AM,
MP, Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts announced the review
of the Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 (PMCH Act) and the
Protection of Movable Cultural Heritage Regulations 1987 (PMCH Regulations).
The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts is
undertaking the review in consultation with the National Cultural Heritage
Committee. An important part of that review process is consultation with
and input from key stakeholders.
Your input to the review of the PMCH Act and the PMCH Regulations is
invited. We would appreciate your comments on the issues raised in the
attached discussion paper, and any other matters of concern in regard to the
operation of the PMCH Act and the PMCH Regulations. Please note that the
closing date for submissions is 6 March 2009. It is anticipated that the
review will be completed by 31 May 2009.
A fact sheet on the review is also attached for your information. Further
information on the review process, as well as a link to download additional
copies of the discussion paper, is available on the website at:
www.arts.gov.au/public_consultation.
Should you require a copy of the discussion paper in rich text format, or a
printed hard copy, please either reply to this email or call the review
Secretariat on 1800 115 771.
If you have any questions about the review please contact Ms Caroline
Greenway, Director, Cultural Property Section, Collections Branch on the
above number or email pmchreview at environment.gov.au.
Yours sincerely
Marion
Marion Garratt