[meteorite-list] eBay Lunar Scam Artist is Back

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:17:53 +0000

This looks to be the same guy who was selling on ebay under the handle 'mauimag', which has gone dormant. The pictures look identical to what he was using to attempt to pass off concrete slabs as pallasite (note the nice rectangular-ish chunks in the 'breccia', this picture is the same one he tried to call a pallasite). I first asked to have some of the analysis from the so-called pallasite, and got hot air, then I offered to come up and look at his 'meteorites' and got no response. The guy is either delusional or a scammer, or maybe some of both.

Anyone remember the spoof where the 'backyard archaeologist' sent in old Craftsman wrenches and Barbie heads to the AMNH, claiming they were evidence of a new prehistoric tribe? Same smell, or maybe the guy with the 3 ton Mars meteorite he was selling for his church. Just give him all the attention he's due -- none at all. I'd be more worried if he were selling bits of lava rock for $10 ea. and trying to pass them off as Oum Rockba to the uninformed.

Tracy Latimer