[meteorite-list] What is so nice about meteorites

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:41:26 -0500

Hello Everyone,

You know what is so nice about meteorites?

It's sort of ironic.

I have enjoyed amateur astronomy for over 35 years and I have always felt
humbled when I think of the distance light has traveled uninterrupted to
reach my eyes.

But some nights it is too cloudy to observe the stars.

And some nights (like tonight) it is just too cold to observe the stars.

And some nights my back won't let me lift that 65 lb scope out the door to
observe the stars.

But on these nights, I can start a fire in the fireplace, make a nice cup
of hot chocolate, pull out some of my favorite specimens and a book or two,
turn the lights down low and settle down with just peace and quite amidst
the flicker of the fire...

...and I can still observe the stars.

Goodnight everyone.

Pleasant dreams.

-Walter Branch

My thoughts tonight are for a certain list member, a friend, who has
suffered a terrible loss recently. Count your own stars while you can.
Even stars don't last forever.