[meteorite-list] Moroccan Infighting

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:37:56 -0500

Dear List members,

We all know that most of the Moroccan meteorite traders were ambitious in
obtaining new material from the nomads of the Sahara and building close
partnerships with meteorite dealers from the rest of the world. In the past
few years they have been destroying the typically respected wholesale/retail
relationship with their partners and have been striving the go direct to the
collectors to squeeze every last nickel they could get, despite the
repercussions. Moroccans can not (and will not) provide the guarantee,
meteorite preparation and proper classification as most "long-term"
meteorite dealers do.

The funny part in all of this is that while going for broke and looking past
their long-term partnerships, they have managed to scare away collectors
because there is no trust and confidence in what the Moroccans say or do. In
part, the skepticism is accurate and some is not. One thing is true, they
have lost many long-term customers, the true bounty they will one day
realize and regret!

Now to the funny, but sad part... In their attempts to be a one-stop shop,
we have witnessed today the Moroccans fighting with each other in public, on
this List! This tells me, which I predicted a year ago amongst friends, that
in the bad economy (and even in a good one) the Moroccans would start to
back stab each other even worse than ever to get that last nickel. I would
say it has backfired! It is looking like they are losing their best
long-term customers and scaring away collectors.

As times continue to be economically rough, I predict we will see more of
these Moroccan street fights erupt on this List and at shows. Maybe I will
bring a lawn chair and a big bag of popcorn to Tucson and watch the show!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection