[meteorite-list] MASSIVE fireball in Sweden this morning.

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:09:13 -0700

Hi Martin,

Is there a meteorite society/club in Denmark? If there is, maybe its
members can "pool" their money together to pay for a roof over Agpalilik.
The bad economy might not allow for this right now, but maybe in a couple
years. If we had a large meteorite sitting outside without a roof here in
the US, one or more clubs/societies would've quickly donated money and labor
to build a roof over it. But maybe rules and laws prohibit that in other
countries?

> Not worth looking for.

Even if a meteorite hunter won't get any monetary reward (or even the
meteorite) from finding it, that is no reason not to look for it. As long
as it doesn't cost more money than he/she can spend, the thrill of the hunt
is exciting. Two weekends ago I looked for evidence of meteorites from the
Penrose, Colorado fireball. I drove down to Penrose from Superior (near
Boulder, Colorado) and went to two different places. The first place that I
went to was west of the town. I was able to walk around there because there
weren't a lot of houses. I only saw sandstone, so any meteorites would've
been obvious. :-) I then drove around half of the streets in town and
looked for evidence (dark rocks on the sides of the roads) but I didn't see
any. I spent about 6 hours on this trip (it was a Saturday) and spent about
$100 (mostly on fuel for my Jeep). Even though I didn't find anything, it
was still exciting and I said to myself "It was a fun, small vacation, so it
was worth the $100 that I spent on it". I didn't get a reward (money or
meteorites), but I did see scenery that I had not seen for a few years.

Maybe there is a meteorite lover near the location where the Sweden fireball
was last assumed to be above land (assuming it fell into the Baltic Sea).
If that person is very close to that location, it won't cost him/her a lot
of money to look around for a few hours and maybe ask a few local residents
if they saw or heard anything. I think it's worth a try if it doesn't cost
too much.

Regards,

Bob L.