[meteorite-list] Caldwell, KS impact melt breccia AD, sort of

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:55:48 EST

Hello List,

The Caldwell, Kansas Meteorite Story.

For 16 years or so, I have been chasing after the Caldwell, Kansas
meteorite. The 1986 version of the BMNH Catalogue (my original treasure map) listed
this meteorite as being found in 1961, being 12.9 kg TKW with only about 50
grams represented in all collections world wide.

This discrepancy in weights made the treasure hunter in me say "Hummmm..."

My hunch was that someone had found this meteorite and sent Nininger or Huss
a chip off it. It probably was determined that it was indeed a meteorite,
but the finder, for whatever reason, didn't want to sell it back then. This
scenario, while very rare, did happen at least one other time that I know
about in the past century. Both Nininger and Huss were known for being
persistent at getting specimens the located out of the field and into the lab.

In the case of multiple finds from a strewnfield, the need wasn't as great
to get ALL of them, but in the case of single specimen finds, there was a
logical case that could be made that science needed to study the new finds, and
thus, not many of those got away.

So for a couple of years, I tried to find who had this rock. I would ask
around the Caldwell area when my field trips took me to that part of Kansas,
all with no luck.

One day I decided to write to Margaret Huss (daughter of Nininger and widow
of Glen Huss) in Colorado and I asked her what the old AML records might have
on the Caldwell meteorite. In her gracious and helpful way, she responded
by giving me the name of the finder, Vernie Havorka. Their records showed
that the AML did get a piece of this meteorite, but that was all.

Some research on my part showed that there was no longer any Havorkas in the
Caldwell area. A little more detective work and eventually I located the
original finder in another city. I paid a visit to Vernie's home and we struck
up a great conversation and a friendship was formed.

He showed me his meteorite, and told me about the find. Nothing dramatic,
just that he had hit it with the plow on his family farm outside of Caldwell.
He mentioned that both Nininger and Huss had paid him a couple of visits
over the years, but that he never really wanted to part with the rock. Although
he had given one of the men a piece for testing and verification.

When I asked if he would want to sell it now, he told me that it was in his
Will, designated to go to his son upon his death, and that it wasn't for
sale.

Vernie was a part time pastor of a small country church and he had taken
quite a few missionary trips over seas. He was full of stories of exciting
trips to exotic places. We would talk, sometimes for hours about far away
places. One trip I remember him talking about was going to the U.S.S.R. before
their break up. It was an interesting story, one that I used as a spring board
to think about what it would be like to go to Russia and travel to the
Sikhote Alin site on a "missionary" trip of my own to "save" some of those lost
rocks.

Early on, I had mentioned to Alan Rubin at UCLA about finding the Caldwell
finder, and Dr. Rubin asked if there was a way I could get him just a little
piece of the rock for some more detailed testing. So, the next time I was in
Kansas, I popped in on Vernie, and made the request, and he obliged by
letting me take off a small piece around 20 grams.

I got the fragment to UCLA and they were able to determine that the rock was
indeed an L-impact melt breccia. The portion he got from me was of the
impact portion, so a more detailed classification wasn't forthcoming.

While I took Vernie at his word, that he didn't want to sell his specimen
that he treasured, over the years I would still pop in on him. I remember
showing him, in his driveway, the 280 pound "Rediscovery Stone" I found at
Brenham in 2005, that was just a few days before I ended up finding the Brenham
Main Mass. That was one of several finds I had showed him over the years when
I had a good excuse to stop in to see him again. We would talk about various
things and I would eventually get around to half heartedly asking if he was
sure he didn't want to sell his rock yet?

The answer was always the same.

This last fall, I was passing near Vernie's home on the way out to shoot the
Discovery TV meteorite segment at Brenham, when strangely there wasn't an
answer at his door. I left him a note saying "hi" on my business card and I
went on. Several weeks later I received a phone call from Vernie's son
informing me that Vernie had passed away very near the time I last stopped by and
left my last note.

The conversation with his son veered around different topics, including how
much Vernie enjoyed his meteorite. I mentioned to the son that Vernie had
indicated that while he was alive, he didn't want to part with the meteorite,
but that it would be his son's decision to make at a later time. I asked
Vernie's son if he would possibly be interested in selling the rock, and he was
at least open to the idea. Several conversations later, he eventually
decided to sell it.

Most of the meteorite, including the main mass portion, is now in the
permanent collection of the Kansas Meteorite Society. As I understand, the Kansas
Meteorite Society guys are going to continue to sell a small number of
limited edition 1g pieces on Ebay over time, but not much of what they have will be
up for resale.
Several other institutions have shown a strong interest in acquiring some of
this material from me via trades. But the modern red tape filled process
will delay me knowing just how much will be eventually available to private
collectors for some time. My guess is that only about 500 grams total will make
it to private collections, maybe a bit less.

This meteorite is very interesting looking. While it is an impact melt, it
does not have the appearance of Cat Mountain or Smyer. But there is a very
distinct dark melt zone and the non melted portion has this very pretty Aqua
color to it. A color I am not sure I have ever seen in a meteorite before.

I have cut and prepped 15 part slices, totaling 431 grams and in each of
these part slices I have preserved some of both lythologies.

I will be bringing what I have left of these part slices (from 4.5 grams up
to 76 grams) to Tucson with me, however I did want to give everyone on the
list an opportunity to get one now, before the show. For those of you who ARE
going to Tucson, when I get there, you can look through what I will have
left, if I have any left then.

If you buy a slice now, and if you are also going to Tucson you can always
choose to trade the piece you buy now out for another piece, if you see one
then that you think you like better, again, if I have any left by the time I
get to Tucson

I expect to sell out of these I have set aside for collectors, so if you
want a beautiful new meteorite, one that got away from Nininger and Huss, here
is your chance. A beautiful rock, with a nice story, at a fair price. What
more would a collector want?

If you are interested in purchasing a part slice, please email me off list,
for a list of what I have available and the prices on them.

And I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that your support in buying
meteorites from full time field hunters, like myself, helps us get back out in
the field to find you more meteorites for your collection later.

Your support is always appreciated.

Email me OFF list if you want more details.

Thank you for your consideration,

Steve Arnold #1
www.SteveArnoldMeteorites.com

steps!