[meteorite-list] How far away can a meteor be heard?

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2009 14:57:14 UT

Greetings AL and List,

"There is also a phenomenon where a meteor can be heard near the radio frequencies."

Somehing like this (Peekskill):

"While we were not primarily concerned with collecting eyewitness accounts of the fireball
that proceeded the Peekskill fall, we did receive many unsolicited reports and some of these
noted the presence of electrophonic sounds. The most detailed account that we received was
that by Patsy Keith and family who observed the fireball from a car near Altoona, Pennsylvania.
The sound was described as a 'crackling sound like that of a sparkler'. The sound lasted for about
10 seconds and was audible for several seconds after the first major fragmentation event."

Bernd