[meteorite-list] Possible Impact Event on Jupiter?

From: Mark Abbott <Mark_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:39:31 -0500

Has anyone heard an estimate for the size of the impactor yet.

If I recall correctly, for an object reaching Earth's surface with
cosmic velocity, the rule of thumb is that the crater diameter is 50
times the impactors diameter. I am guessing that factor for Jupiter's
cloud layer is going to be much larger, being less dense.