[meteorite-list] Possible Impact Event on Jupiter?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:58:50 -0700 (MST)

Hi Mark:

For Earth, 20 times (give or take), not 50.

This new spot, from what I can tell, looks to be on the small end of the
SL9 impactors, so we are talking about under a kilometer in diameter, I
would guess.

Also, it is likely that this event came in at a higher velocity than SL9
since they were actually in orbit around Jupiter at the time so hit with
velocities under 70 km/s (Jupiter has a larger gravity than Earth).

Since there is probably no way of know the exact velocity of this
impactor, the size may be hard to determine (comet or asteroid, prograde
or retrograde, etc.).

Larry