[meteorite-list] Chesapeake Impact Specifics?

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:34:52 -0500

Hi,

    You missed the key sentence in the description:
"The impact structure is completely buried under
1000 to 1600 feet of sediment," meaning it's buried
under the sea floor of the Chesapeake Bay. The
features were located with drilling and mapped
with reflection studies. The Tom's River Canyon
crater is also under the sea.

    It's likely the sea was very shallow when it was
formed. It's very hard to determine when and how
much of the continental shelves are underwater at
any given time. Just 18,000 years ago, they were all
exposed, and the sea level was up to 400 feet lower
than now. The slope of the shelves is gentle, and
small rises and falls cover (and uncover) a lot of
territory.

    One lesson of this is how easy it is to hide a
humping big crater on an active planet like ours.

> don't want to pay the $32 to download it...

    For free:

    Here's a short summary from C. Wylie Poag:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc97/pdf/1029.PDF

    And an abstract:
http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/11/995

    Here's a complete paper:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/portallive/docs/1/3773904.PDF

    Big chunks of the ejecta landed 300 miles away,
in New Jersey. People are always dumping stuff in
New Jersey...
http://www.oceanleadership.org/files/USSSP/PDFs/Greatest_Hits/Events/McHugh.pdf

    The secondary craters are detailed here:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/LPSC99/pdf/1047.pdf

    Here's the stratigraphy, blah, blah...
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2002/pdf/1019.pdf

    Here's a 61-page book on the effects of the crater.
Might as well download it for free -- your tax money
paid for it!
http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/p1622/p1622.pdf

    Here's another book, an 85-pager, that you paid for...
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1016/2004-1016.pdf
with lots and lots and lots of articles!

    Go crazy, EMan.

Sterling K. Webb