[meteorite-list] Oktibbeha County Super Ataxite? ...was The tale of a falling star ... Top Ten re: Ni content

From: Mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:36:53 -0400

Darren rote:
">Bernd - 0% Ni content ;-)
Oh, you are some percent Ni. The 0% is likely a rounding error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel#Biological_role"

Hi Darren,
I don't think there was any concern with about the floating point
arithmetic facing programmers with the 0%. Bernd was precise and you
may have noted the smile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_(arithmetic)

Larry wrote:
"I have not been able to find an "average" amount of Ni in humans
(seems to depend on a lot of things like what kind of oil you consume,
how far from Sudbury you live, etc.--micrograms per gram of body
weight). "

Hi Larry,

"A 70 kg [note: American] reference man contains 10 mg of nickel,
giving an average body concentration of 0.1 ppm...
[Larry: This is 0%; to two significant figures it would be 0.000014% or
0.14 ppm's, or 140 nanograms per gram, though the context favors only
one]

Nickel does not bioaccumulate to a great extent in animals...
[note: if you overload, it becomes toxic when the body cannot keep up
removing it as quickly, especially in the liver and kidneys]

Nickel sensitivity is a form of delayed hypersensitivity that is found
in 10?20% of the general population..."*
[note: this is at low levels, once triggered, you get the allergy to
much lower concentrations for life]

Meteoroholics,

If you wish to get a daily allowance of meteorite in your diet, this
means (ignoring all the o
ther heavy elements haha), that a reasonable
risk of powdered meteorite to add to a liquid nourishment, eat or snort
is 10 mg of an iron meteorite, or 100 mg of a chondrite, and not more
than six of them a week, keeping in mind that ataxites are reserved for
only a special class of meteorite hunters and excluded for the masses
at these levels).

The reference Larry quoted says:
"A condition of nickel deficiency has not been clearly defined in
humans..."

i.e., it's not a good idea to take nickel supplements of any kind,
unless, well, uh, you know...

Best wishes, Doug (Ni - 0% except when lucky)
*ref.:
Finalized Toxilogical Profile
PB2006-100005 August, 2005.
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
(A sister agency to the CDC in Atlanta)
Department of Health and Human Services.
U.S. Government Publication (by Congressional Mandate)