[meteorite-list] When the Moon hits your eye like a really, really, really big pizza pie

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:48:12 -0500

Hi, Rob, List,

Naivet? is not an excuse; it is another name for
gross ignorance. In Space 1999, the Moon is
blasted free of the Solar System to wander the
darkness of the interstellar void. Yet, whenever
they set foot outside of Moonbase Alpha, abundant
sunlight streams down upon them and a fully
illuminated lunar landscape stretches our before
them.

How do you get Sunlight without the Sun?

In my universe, no Sun -- no Sunlight. How about
you? It's 1975. We've just quit going to the Actual
Moon, even though the money has been allocated
for a total of 24 missions (with an option on an
additional 24). No, President Nixon has found a
better use for it, a more pressing need for the cash.
Something about burglar tools, I believe.

So, here, look at this "Moon" instead. Maybe the
word "ignorance" doesn't cover it either. And it was
wrong of me to compare them and suggest that one
would be better than the other. It's like choosing
between the infernal torment of being dipped in a
lake of fire or having small red demons pour molten
lead in your ears nonstop. (Thank you, Dante, for
the imagery.) There's not much to choose between.

Even better are the scenes where people are sucked
up into the air, right out of their seats, by the increased
gravity of the Moon. I calculate that it would take roughly
3600 gee's to do that from the distance of the Moon. So,
is that better-worse than Space 1999's Sunlight without
any Sun?

I can't choose. You pick.

Sterling K. Webb