[meteorite-list] Fwd: Re: When the Moon hits your eye like a really, really, really big pizza pie

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:03:22 -0700

Carl,

My understanding of this phenomena is that the meteoroid must be very
large to hold enough heat all the way to the ground sufficient enough to
possibly start a fire. In other words it would most likely haver to be
traveling at cosmic velocity at impact with the ground. Which is not
possible for a small sized meteoroid. Of course the word small is
subjective.

So to answer your question I would say yes. A very large meteorite
impact causes intense heat... Probably enough to start a fire, but only
if the meteoroid has enough mass and speed. The angle of decent has a
lot to do with the ability of the meteoroid to retain it's cosmic
velocity. As does it's composition. If it's a stony meteorite and very
large it might make impact and may be hot but we don't know really. Look
at Carancas meteorite. This chondrite was supposedly 10 ft in diameter
according to Wikipedia's article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Peruvian_meteorite_event

It blew out windows 1km away, and the crater was some 43 feet across and
15 ft deep. The SAO/NASA ADS at Harvard.edu site has the speed at 2-4
kms, And the size at 0.9 to 1.7 m. Still small... "...This example
demonstrates that meteoroid strength can vary significantly from case to
case and does not depend on meteoroid size..."

The West, Texas fall (Ash Creek) was reported by eye witnesses to be as
large as a truck. That would be a few tons in weight. Peekskill of
course was supposedly warm to the touch right after falling. And then of
course you have the report just a little while back about a supposed
meteorite being so hot right after falling in the middle of a village in
India that the valligers had to douse it with water to cool it enough to
touch. This didn't seem right to me, and I thought it might have been
sensationalist reporting. Not to mention the unconfirmed story of a pea
sized meteorite hitting a German boy just last week. Reportedly this
meteoroid was traveling at 30,000 mph when it struck the boy in the back
of the hand. NOT!

So why did the West Texas, and Peekskill meteoroids breakup? For that
matter, Consider Buzzard Coulee too. If what the information on
Harvard's site says is correct, then composition has a lot to do with a
meteoroid retaining enough speed to make a crater, or be hot upon
impact. Considering this why wouldn't it be feasible to compare
compositions, angle of descent, and speed to figure out why Carancas
created a crater and the other recent falls didn't.

Buzzard Coulee - H4
Carancas - H4-5
West Texas (Ash Creek) - L6
Peekskill - H6
Park Forest - L5

What does it take for a meteorite to be hot after impact? It varies...
All conditions have to be perfect. Are there really too many variables
to consider?

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA