[meteorite-list] West - Blue-Silvery Markings

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

List,

  I have been meaning to ask about the "blue-silvery" markings on some of the West specimens we found. I see that McCartney Taylor mentions it on his new web site. I showed the 60g meteorite that it is best represented on from our finds to several "in-the-know-guys", such as Mike Farmer and Robert Haag, who both have a seen a LOT more meteorites than I have. Neither of them had ever seen anything like it before. That seems to be a fairly significant statement. Robert tossed around the idea that it MIGHT be related to the copper content in this meteorite, and MIGHT be some kind of "copper-related-melt-splash" ????? ( Not trying to start any wild, fantastic claims here at all. Like I said, this is just some musings out loud. He also said it might be some type of troilite melt-splash, or something else completely. But the point is, wouldn't most of us agree that if NO one (that I've asked) has seen something like this before, it must be fairly uncommon at
 the least???

  If anyone has ever seen anything like this before or knows what it is, I would love to hear from you.

  I don't have a website, or a photo hosting site, but I would be happy to send a photo that displays the markings directly to anyone who requests it.

  Thanks,
  Robert Woolard