[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

From: Fries, Marc D <marc.d.fries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:06:26 -0700

Whatever hit it looks (to me) like it fragmented completely when it hit the
windshield. The dashboard doesn?t have one deep gouge in it like a solid
object would inflict; it has a shotgun-spray of spallation damage. Whatever
hit the thing wound up as tiny pieces scattered around inside the car. Ice
falling from an airplane, perhaps? I still think the ?debris? they show is
part of the dashboard.

Oh, and the windshield wasn?t ?melted? like that genius journo declared.
Windshields have two panes of safety glass glued together with a plastic
sheet in between. That keeps glass fragments from flying around because they
stick to the plastic, just like the photo shows. The ?melted glass? is
that plastic sheet stretched all out of shape by getting walloped. All the
journo had to do was touch the thing to figure that out.

Now I?m really going to quit getting wrapped up in this stuff and get back
to work..

Cheers,
MDF