[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:32:18 -0500

Hi, List,

    Look at the photo. At full size on my monitor,
it is scaled about 10x life size. Clearly visible on the
fragment are the Roman characters "EJ" and possibly
"I," about 0.5 - 0.6 mm high and what appears to be
a smaller line of type as well, both far too small to
be anything but a portion of a possible part number
or other identifying mark.

    The entire fragment is no more than one inch in
the longest dimension, heavily battered and folded.
The odds favor the wood chipper or the jet engine
where parts may be in high kinetic energy states of
motion. On the right side of the object in the photo
there seems to be a plane feature but we can't see it.

    The "data" in the news story can (as always) be
utterly disregarded, but it's no meteorite.

Sterling K. Webb