[meteorite-list] Unidentified object from sky destroys car in Cottonwood

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:31:05 -0700 (PDT)

I was called out once in a similar case to Landcaster, Pa. Loud explosion, penetrated window and dashboard etc. Had to get very contorted to search the dash with all my inspection mirrors and forcepts. Found a fragment in the bottom of the plemum which was a gray matrix that soooo looked like a meteorite in situ. Suppressed my urge to yell YAHOO and worked away calmly Finally extracted the fragment with extra long forcepts and it was the paper/sawdust liner of an what looked like a cherry bomb/M80 fire cracker.

The safety film of this car was also stretched outward and also located at the lower window edge and centered. Me thinks there are so many similarities this was not an out of the sky scenario.

Elton