[meteorite-list] Meteoroids Before Meteorites

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:54:30 -0700 (PDT)

A good question, Erick.

Unless freshly broken, the opposite is more likely true--meteoroids arrive stealthly and darkly gray to black. A weathered meteoroid looses most of its reflectivity.

By using asteroid spectra and experiments on meteorites there is some good evidence that their surfaces collect "dust", probably dark glass micro spheroids, and ultraviolet exposure darkens the mafic silicates: olivine, bronzite, pyroxenes etc as opposed to the felsic silicates:feldspars which are not directly addressed) I see that there was a formation of a bitumen-like coating (aka tar) on some surfaces in the experiment.

Undisturbed meteoroid surfaces weather via exposure to micrometeorite bombardment, solar wind, and extrasolar radiation and probably accumulation of space dust "bunnies"and possibly water and methane as strange as it seems.

While the coldness of space we think preserves things well, millions of years of agitation and abrasion don't leave surfaces pristine. The result is a darkening of the surface(albedo drop) and a reddening of the spectra. Silicates which are high in iron darken more so apparently. These test results also hint that the depth of color change doesn't penetrate too deeply but they were limited and are short exposures nothing like the typical 4+ billion years of steady exposure in orbit. Formation times are relatively quick calculated at 1,000,000 years or less.

I theorize that most meteoroids are layered in dark dust making them difficult to detect. I haven't heard specifications from the asteroid/meteorite combo 2008 TC3 which landed over Egypt(?) last fall. In that there was such a short lead time I don't know if any before and after spectral comparisons made.

So bottom line both iron and stone meteorites darken with exposure to space. Carbonaceous chondrites are likely to have a tar-like coating. Those coatings are akin to a coat of paint in thickness and would be among the first thing striped away.

Elton