[meteorite-list] "multicolored" chondrules?

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:25:28 -0400

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please explain to me how chondrules get to be "multicolored."
I sometime see dealer and re-sellers descriptions of meteorites as having
multicolored chondrules. To my untrained eye, the multicolors look like
varying degrees of oxidation. What colors are involved? Red? Green? Pink?
Blue? Brown?

What process produces this effect. Elemental composition? Terrestrial
weathering? What? If it is not a byproduct of terrestrial weathering but
is a characteristic of the stone itself, what does it mean in terms of the
early formation of the solar system?

-Walter Branch