[meteorite-list] Fusion Crusted "Meteoroids"

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:12:22 -0600

Keep in mind during any analysis that small meteoroids are not in stable
orbits, and do not persist forever in the Solar System. There are drag
processes that produce a continual inflow of small objects towards (and
ultimately into) the Sun, and small objects (especially in planet crossing
orbits) are continually being perturbed. A meteoroid that grazes a planet's
atmosphere and receives a fusion crust probably has a lifetime measured in
millions of years at most, and often much less. So you need to consider both
the production and destruction rate of fusion-crusted meteoroids.

Also, I don't know that talking about absolute numbers is particularly
useful. Whether that number turns out to be large or small, it certainly
represents a vanishingly small percentage of the total meteoroid population.
You're very unlikely while in space to encounter any meteoroids at all; it
could take a ridiculously long time to find one that had previously
encountered a planet.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory