[meteorite-list] May the 4th be with you

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 00:43:20 -0700

For the Star Wars lover in you.

This story has everything you could possibly want. Star Wars, space,
Chewbacca, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, Storm troopers and a
Canyon Diablo meteorite wedding ring with the inscription "May the 4th
be with you". Now how cool is that?! ;)

Photos included in the article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5275019/Star-Wars-inspires-couples-bizarre-sci-fi-wedding.html

Duncan Thomson, 41, and Sammi Gardiner, 39, got married in an unusual
ceremony surrounded by friends and family all dressed as characters from
the sci-fi movies.

In a pun on the films' famous phrase, "may the force be with you", they
chose Monday as the date for the service, so they could bill it as "May
the 4th be with you"

The couple, from the Isle of Wight, even invited the movie's director
George Lucas, who wrote back to them saying he was unable to attend.

However, despite his absence, the bride and groom tied the knot as the
film's hero and heroine, exchanging vows themed on their favourite scenes.

During the wedding in Shanklin on the island, Mr Thomson told his bride:
"I promise to protect you from carbon freezing and promise to protect
you from the Dark Side, through hyperspace and into the far reaches of
the galaxy."

The couple were joined by Mr Thomson's son Kieren, 18, who, as best man,
played the part of Solo's sidekick Chewbacca the wookie.

His daughter Charlotte, 20, carried out her duties as head bridesmaid
while acting out the part of Queen Padme Amidala.

Evil villain Darth Vader, played by friend Dan Cawpheray, delivered
readings in the style of the Star Wars scripts, flanked by two Imperial
Stormtroopers.

He told the congregation: "Members of the Galactic Empire, Duncan and
Sammi met a long time ago, in a place far, far away. The force is strong
with these two.

"If you do not underestimate the power of marriage then together you can
rule your house as husband and wife."

The pair decided on the theme because their first date in May 2005 was a
trip to the cinema to see the Star Wars film Revenge of the Sith.

Mr Thomson, an amateur astrologist, said: "We had both been married
before with traditional services and wanted to do something a bit
different and fun to put a smile on everyone's face.

"We have been sourcing costumes for ages and most of them have been
shipped over from America but we are really pleased with how it all went.

"They are just great films, with a great storyline, great effects and
are a rite of passage for anyone growing up."

The couple also sent invitations to actors Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher
and Mark Hamill ? who played Solo, Leia and Luke Skywalker in the cult
films ? but they did not attend.

Lucas sent back a RSVP letter bearing his Skywalker Ranch stamp saying
he could not make it.

Mr Thomson said: "It was a shame he could not be here but I hope he sees
the pictures and sees that we did him proud."

The couple had to remove certain Star Wars references from the 20-minute
civil service because "Jedi" is a recognised religion, he added.

The bride's ring was made out of meteorite found in Canyon Diablo in the
US, engraved with: "May the 4th be with you."

Following the ceremony, the couple departed for a honeymoon on a cruise
to the Mediterranean, with a special guard of honour using light sabres.

Sammi, an IT worker, said: "The films brought us together and are
something that our families, young and old, have always loved."

A friend, Matt Archer, 32, who came as the droid C-3PO, said: "It was
incredible. Everyone got into character."

--
Regards,
Eric Wichman