[meteorite-list] Seeking some of this lists knowledge

From: Mike Miller <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 13:10:52 -0700

Hello everyone inspired by the great experience I had in West Texas, I
am spending a considerable amount of my time chasing fire balls these
days. As you know we seemed to have a large number of fire balls in a
short time. One question I am pondering at the moment is how a sonic
boom relates to these events. We have several different recent events
and the sonic booms in these events are different in the way they
direct us to look for the meteorites, I hope they produced. First we
have the ...well I guess I better leave that state out of this public
address. A well know recent event with many reports of a huge boom
that shook houses and rattled windows. These booms woke many people
from a sound sleep. My question here is why would the boom be so loud
and violent? Is it due to the size or speed of the object entering our
atmosphere?
Then we have another recent event with three separate distinct booms.
Softer and not as violent but we have three of the them boom, boom,
boom. Does this mean there are three separate objects?
 We also have a very recent event in the Flagstaff area with reports
of a sonic boom, now in this case witnesses say that the meteor was
headed for earth at a very steep angle,(perhaps 80 degrees) I am
wondering what affect this has on a sonic boom. Such a steep angle of
decent does that produce a smaller area where the boom can be heard?
 Then a general question is the point in the atmosphere where the
sonic boom is created a specific altitude or does it vary by size
shape and speed? Does the fragmentation event or bolide event produce
a sonic boom or just the meteor entering our atmosphere.
 I know there are a lot of questions in there and some of them I think
I know what the answers are but I have learned in my years that
sometimes you only think you know until someone who really knows
starts talking.

--
Mike Miller 230 Greenway Dr. Kingman Az 86401
www.meteoritefinder.com