[meteorite-list] Meteorite or Meteorwrong?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 11:23:02 -0700

Mark, Carl, List,

I've scoured the web looking for photographs of andesite and see "some"
resemblance but not something conclusive for identification of this
stone. Though it does looking similar. I'm not asking if this is a
metoerite, I'm asking if it's NOT a meteorite, what is it?

As we know fusion crust is one of the biggest identification factors
considered in the ID of meteorites. (I can see where this is going) and
there are literally hundreds of examples of different textures, and
thicknesses, and visual variances in fusion crust that it's not funny.
Which is why we have other tests we use to properly identify a rock as a
meteorite.

Now before all you guys jump on me for asking the dreaded "Is this a
meteorite?" question or yell at me about how to identify a meteorite,
I'd like to clarify a few things. This is a "ROCK" to me, nothing more.
I've examined literally thousands of meteorites and thrown away tens of
kilos of terrestrial stones that somehow got mixed into batches of
meteorites I've purchased. So the probability of this ROCK being a
meteorwrong is there.

When you consider the sheer numbers of meteorites that I've examined,
it's no wonder that from time to time I will come across a stone like
this that perplexes me and makes me say "What the heck is that?". I have
two good sized drawers FULL of meteorwrongs that I look through every
now and then just to see if I can pull out a few real meteorites as my
knowledge of meteorites grows.

Here's a NICE meteorite I recently found in my meteorwrong drawer:

EXTERIOR: http://www.meteoritesusa.com/images/odd/odd-1e.jpg
INTERIOR: http://www.meteoritesusa.com/images/odd/odd-1a.jpg

I get a whole bunch of odd rocks, and only post to the list when I can't
find an answer myself. Believe me I look for answers long before I post
any photos of meteorwrongs. Here's some examples of some that I've
either never posted and/or only asked privately for advice on.

SAMPLES OF ODD ROCKS: http://www.meteoritesusa.com/odd/meteorwrongs.htm

The point is this new ODD ROCK is just that. Odd. If anyone can tell me
what it is, or perhaps show me some comparable photos that would be great.

This stone http://www.meteoritesusa.com/odd/ was in a batch of
meteorites I purchased. I can guarantee that if you were to hold this
stone in your hand and look at the "crust" that seems to on this piece,
you'd say "Hmmm" too. The photos though good, do not do justice to it,
and I imagine that' why people don't go around identifying meteorites
from photos... ;)

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA