[meteorite-list] Question about cutting stones on a small saw

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:38:01 -0400

Hi List!

I have a question for the cutting gurus and saw experts.

Recently I purchased a new Lortone Rock Rascal 6" lapidary trimsaw,
primarily for cutting small UNWA stones. I also bought all of the
accessory goodies - the clamp vise, 3 blades of varying thicknesses
and some lubricant.

Admittedly, I am a total idiot when it comes to cutting - I know
nothing other than what I have read. Since I have no firsthand
experience cutting stones, I am wondering about a few things that I
can't seem to find easy answers to.

I do have experience with power tools and cutting wood with a variety
of saws, so I know the fundamentals of cutting and saws in general,
but lapidary saws and cutting stones is alien to me. The saw owner's
manual is not targeted towards a newbie and there doesn't appear to be
any online tutorials about how to use it to cut stony meteorites.

So, please forgive the stupid nature of these questions -

1) How do I lubricate with this saw? It doesn't appear to be a "wet
saw" - I see no place to add lubricant or no tank to hold it. What am
I supposed to do in this respect? Am I missing something?

2) I have a very thin "Lapcraft Laser Dia Blade" that is .006
thickness. It seems impossibly thin and "floppy" - how is it possible
to cut a straight line using something like this? Doesn't it wander
all over the place while cutting? I assume that this blade is only
useful for friable specimens that would offer little cutting
resistance?

3) What lubricant should I use? I have heard to use pure alcohol and
some use distilled water. I bought something called "Dia-Cut" that is
a red concentrate to be mixed with water. But I later read that
lubricants like this should be avoided.

4) What kind of blade is recommended for general cutting of H and L
type chondrites? I have the blade that came with the saw (not sure
what it is exactly), the .006 blade I mentioned above, and a
"Meteorite" blade that is .012 thickness. The meteorite blade is a
Johnson Brothers that I bought from Graves.

Here is a link to the saw I have -

http://www.therockshed.com/equipment/modj6.jpg

(I didn't buy from that vendor, it's just the first photo of it that I saw)

Thanks in advance!

MikeG

--
Michael Gilmer (Louisiana, USA)