[meteorite-list] Richard Norton

From: Thomas Webb <webbth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 07:39:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dorothy and all,
How do you spell meteorite?-----O-R-I-C-H-A-R-D-N-O-R-T-O-N. This name is irrevocably tied to meteorites and their study. Richard has done more to popularize and introduce the world to meteorites and meteoritics through his wonderful books than any person I can think of. Richard states in his preface to the second edition of Rocks From Space that he wrote it to fill an obvious void. That void was most admirably filled! The book was enthusiastically received by both amateurs and scientists and continues to be the best introduction to meteorites available, and Dorothy, your art on the cover makes it most visually appealing as well as the artwork for his follow-up books, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites and the Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites.
The name and the works of Richard Norton will live on in all of us who love meteorites. Dorothy, as you grieve the loss of Richard's physical presence in your life may God's grace and His peace that passes all understanding be with you in the days to come and until you meet again.
My best,
Thomas H. Webb