[meteorite-list] eBay "Questions" / photos

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 09:42:22 -1000

Aloha Michael, listees,

> Fellow collectors,
> I am wondering if others have noticed this and
> Have concerns as do I: I have noted two recent trends with eBay
> (at least regarding meteorites, which are 99 % of my eBay interest)
>
> 1: Up until very recently a perspective bidder could send a question
> To the seller regarding the piece. NOW, there is an IMPLICATION
> You can ask a question, but, in fact, there is just a list of stock
> answers
> In a few categories upon which you may click....

I believe there are a list of stock questions the prospective buyer
can choose from ("General question about the item" is usually the one
people will select), after which a text field is offered to input a
specific question.

> 2: Up until recently one could download (a) photo(s) of what one was
> Buying. Now, about 95% of the time one cannot. (It seams curiously
> Inconsistent that in a very small minority of cases one still can....)

I can download images if they are embedded in the text body on the
ebay auction item page, by dragging them off the page and onto my
desktop, for example). If the pictures are obtained by clicking on
the thumbnail on the upper left portion of the ebay auction item page,
to bring up another window that displays just the pictures, along with
with thumbnails of additional images - then these images cannot be
dragged and dropped or downloaded. I use a screen capture tool to be
able to "acquire" those pictures.

gary